New Delhi: BJP leader Kapil Mishra has said that he has no regret on his provocative speech that had delivered in communally charged Chandpur area of northeast Delhi on 23 February.
”It’s been a year now, so I want to say this here. If the need arises to redo what I did on February 23, I would do it all over again,” he said. He was speaking alongside authors of ”Delhi Riots: The Untold Story” at Constitution Club, reported The Indian Express.
”I have no regrets, besides the fact that we could not save Intelligence Bureau officer Ankit Sharma and constable Ratan Lal,” he added.
At a pro-CAA gathering near the Maujpur traffic signal on February 23 last year, Mishra had warned the anti-CAA protesters to clear the area, failing which they would take to the streets. In the video, deputy superintendent of police (North East Delhi) Ved Prakash Surya can be seen standing next to him as he issued the infamous ‘ultimatum’.
Violence soon broke out in the area soon after the speech, claiming more than 53 lives.
In an interview with the BBC earlier, Mishra said that he engaged in relief works for the Hindu victims of the riots, Rinku Sharma’s family. When asked why he helped only Hindu victims, while there were more Muslims on the affected side, he said: ”They have Waqf board, Delhi government and entire media alongside them. I only helped those who are left out.”
Mishra, who has since then regularly hit headlines, blamed the anti-CAA protesters for riots and alleged that the same pattern is being seen now referring to the clashes and storming of the Red Fort on Republic Day in Delhi during farmers’ tractor rally.
While the police have ruled out the role of Mishra’s provocative speech in triggering riots, a Delhi Court earlier this month directed the Deputy Commissioner of Delhi Police (DCP) to file a report clarifying its stand on whether it will register an FIR against Mishra or not. The direction was issued in the application filed by human rights activist Harsh Mander.