New Delhi: A Delhi court Saturday directed the police to release passports of 35 foreigners, who have already been discharged in a case, in which they were accused of violating government guidelines issued to contain the spread of Convid-19.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Arun Kumar Garg said all the foreigners have already been acquitted by the court and the police has not filed any appeal/revision till date to the acquittal order.
The court’s directions came after the investigating officer submitted he had no objection in releasing the passports to the foreigners.
While acquitting the foreigners from 14 countries of all charges in December last year, the court had said the prosecution has failed to prove the presence of the accused at the Markaz premises during from March 12 to April 1.
The court had further said in its order that as per the list of evacuees, none of the accused was having Covid-19 symptoms and hence there was no question of any negligent act on their part, which to their knowledge or belief was likely to spread infection.
”It is beyond comprehension of the court, as to how, Investigating Officer (IO) could have identified 952 foreign nationals out of 2,343 persons, who as per Station House Officer, were found flouting the guidelines, without any Test Identification Parade, but on the basis of the list provided by Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India,” it had said.